[Tweeters] Isla Tres Marias, Nayarit Mexico - Island endemic public access

Marcus Roening marcus at rainierconnect.com
Mon Dec 11 18:39:05 PST 2023

Hi Tweets,

There is a rare public opportunity to visit Isla Tres Marias, 93 km off the coast of Nayarit. Until 2019, it was a penal colony, but President Obrador closed it and he has invested in making it a tourist destination. He has one year remaining in his 6 year term of office, at which point this window may close.

Currently, the Tres Marias Hummingbird is the only ‘approved’ endemic, but there are a number of distinct island forms awaiting: Blue Mockingbird, Mexican Parrotlet, Happy Wren, Cinnamon Hummingbird, Rufous-backed Robin, Streak-backed Oriole, Tropical Parula, Red-breasted Chat, Flame-colored Tanager. And perhaps my favorite, large numbers of Yellow-headed Parrots up close and personal - a bird that has eluded us over many, many years. There is also an endemic Tres Marias Raccoon and Cottontail.

Heather & I went with Michael Carmody of Legacy Tours and in-country guide David Salas.

The whole operation is run by the Mexican Navy with large Clipper catamaran type boats leaving out of either Mazatlán or San Blas. The tours are a package, leaving on Friday and returning on Sunday. Lodging is all nicely refurbished staff housing - essentially big hotel rooms. Meals are served in the Dining Hall. The package comes with a set schedule of visits to the old prison, the orchard and the beach - none of which works very well for birders.

Fortunately, David Salas was able to work out special arrangements for us to roam around the edge of the compound and abandoned streets - very much like birding around Neah Bay in the days before cell service (wi-fi is available in the dining hall). Additionally, we had a wonderful young Navy man assigned to us to make sure we were taken care of. While you can do the tour on your own, you’d have to stick with the assigned activities and bird around the edges.

A bonus is that you may get a few Mexican pelagic birds on the way as the boats have large decks in the back that work well for birding. The downside is that we are spoiled by the Westport Seabird trips that actually slow down for birds, while this boat zips right along.

If you think you might have an interest in such an adventure contact David Salas directly. Evidently, working with the Navy who requires prepayment in Pesos from a Mexican Bank a month in advance makes an in-country guide a necessity to navigate the protocols and process.

Fortunately, there is a wide variety of plantings in the community, which meant we found almost all the birds right around our casitas.

David Salas. Dsalas60 at gmail.com

Good birding,
Marcus Roening
Tacoma WA