[Tweeters] Polly Wants a Cracker, but She Wants to Make It Easier to Chew - The New York Times

Greg gjpluth at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 14:56:48 PST 2023

Interestingly, within the last few weeks on at least three occasions, I have watched a song sparrow sitting on the edge of my birdbath. The cement disc typically has maybe a half inch or so of water. The bird was not drinking, just looking around. Then, as I watched, it quickly dipped its beak into the water and appeared to carry away one of the hulled sunflower seeds that I use in my cylinder feeder. Was that to soften the seed?
I’m wondering if anyone else has observed such behavior from a song sparrow, or any other species for that matter?

Greg Pluth
University Place

Sent from my iPhone