[Tweeters] Night Bird Activity (was: Crows flying during the fourth quarter of the Seahawks game last night, well after dark)

Michael Price loblollyboy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 13:21:27 PST 2023

Hi tweets

Back in the 70s and even into the 80s, downtown Vancouver BC rolled the
sidewalks up at 9pm. There were one or two 24hr joints and the clubs but
that was pretty much it. Think 28 Days Later. No birds except for the odd
Barn Owl or Common Nighthawk briefly heard or seen above the street lights.

Fast forward to the late 90s, when I had a long commute that began at 5am
and had me going downtown to catch a train, a downtown which was now
teeming with people (the 24Hour City had arrived in the late 80s), crows,
GW gulls, and Rock Pigeons all strolling around though sun-up's still hours
away. What triggered this change I don't know. My crank theory is that more
people meant more food for the birds and they're simply taking advantage.

ps — one 5am downtown bird experience I gotta pass on: it was week 1
October, and I had to walk several blocks from the bus stop to the station.
There'd been a cold snap up north. Overnight, a massive wave of southbound
Pacific Wrens had arrived and every available piece of shrubbery had a wren
or two in it, furiously snapping away like agitated castanets at the many
incurious commuters passing by their many roosts. Simultaneously amazing
and amusing.

best, m