birdmarymoor birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Dec 21 14:50:50 PST 2023

Tweets - Our Solstice Edition survey was beset by  F O G.  It varied between thick and thicker; at times we couldn't really see across the slough.  Otherwise it was warm and windless and quite pleasant.  It was birdy at times, but we ended with a lot of Misses.

Highlights
    Greater White-fronted Geese - Three, first seen well below the weir in the slough
    Cackling Goose - Probably 2000 that flew in, with half of them landing
    Lesser Scaup - Pretty much the only duck visible from the Lake Platform.  First in a couple of months
    Anna's Hummingbird - Two males, including one singing.  First in nearly a couple of months
    Western Screech-Owl - One heard briefly predawn.  First since October
    White-throated Sparrow - Near the Dog Area portapotties

American Robins and American Crows were especially numerous.

Misses today included Ring-necked Duck, Bufflehead, Short-billed Gull, Ring-billed Gull, Cooper's Hawk, Hairy Woodpecker, Northern Shrike, Steller's Jay, Pine Siskin, American Goldfinch, and Lincoln's Sparrow.

Despite the long list of Misses, we still managed 49 species.

We have one more survey in 2023.  We have been a bit unlucky this year, and our species total will be quite a bit lower than usual.  Several of our "missing" species were seen by others on days other than Thursdays, but even so, the park has been short on semi-rarities and rarities this year.

= Michael Hobbs
= BirdMarymoor at gmail.com
= www.marymoor.org/birding.htm