[Tweeters] Common Mergansers vs Kokanee

Eric Ellingson esellingson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 13:34:04 PST 2023

Watch slow-motion footage of chasing, stealing, fighting, splashing, and
lots of action as Kokanee head upstream to spawn while being chased down
for food. Common Mergansers, gulls, and Double-crested Cormorants attempt
swallowing whole, often still alive and fighting, Kokanee. Other birds such
as Bufflehead and American Dippers search for the spawned eggs to eat.
Look for the failed attempts of a Double-crested Cormorant to catch and
swallow a small Kokanee. Later it does a sneak attack by diving underwater
and then surfacing just underneath a gull that has the fish partly in its
mouth. Who will win?
Watch the eggs of a fat female Kokanee have its eggs squeezed out as it
is being swallowed.
This is an event I've witnessed on Lake Whatcom for a few years now. In
prior years I've photographed this wild kingdom event. This year I played
with slow-motion video to tell a better story. I hope you enjoy it.

Watch it here. https://flic.kr/p/2pp1ABZ

Cheers

Eric Ellingson

360-820-6396