[Tweeters] Wednesdya Walk for Billy Frank Jr Nisqually NWR - 12/27/2023 - year end walk!

Shep Thorp shepthorp at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 11:55:03 PST 2023

Dear Tweets,

Approximately 20 of us had a nice Year End Walk at the Refuge with
intermittent rain and temperatures in the 40's degrees Fahrenheit. There
was a high Low 8'6" Tide at 12:30pm. Highlights included high count of
RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER - upwards of 5 seen, WILSON SNIPE in flooded field
south of the old McAllister Creek Access Road and west entrance to the Twin
Barns Loop Trail, nice Mixed Flocks of BROWN CREEPER/BLACK-CAPPED
CHICKADEE/both KINGLETS/DOWNY WOODPECKER/BEWICKS WREN along the Twin Barns
Loop Trail, large flock of 1500 plus DUNLIN on the mud flats, RED-THROATED
LOON from McAllister Creek Viewing Platform, and nice up close looks of
SPOTTED SANDPIPER at the end of the Nisqually Estuary Boardwalk Trail.
I've noted in our eBird Report locations of sightings when appropriate, see
report pasted below.

We observed 70 species for the day, and have seen a total of 175 species
this year. Since starting our eBird Account, Nisqually Birdwatch, in 2016,
we have completed our 8th year eBird reporting and have seen 215 species in
total.

Highlights for 2023 included BLACK SCOTER, PARASITIC JAEGER, NAZCA BOOBY,
NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL, and YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD. Other notable
sightings included CANVASBACK, PACIFIC GOLDEN PLOVER, LONG-BILLED CURLEW,
WILSON'S and RED-NECKED PHALAROPE, SOLITARY SANDPIPER, BAIRD'S SANDPIPER,
SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER, RED-SHOULDERED HAWK, SHORT-EARED OWL, RED-EYED
VIREO, EVENING GROSBEAK, LESSER GOLDFINCH, and WHITE-THROATED SPARROW,

Misses for 2023 include Common Murre, Marbled Murrelet, Iceland Gull,
Herring Gull, Pacific Loon, Rough-legged Hawk, Brewer's Blackbird,
Nashville Warbler, Lazuli Bunting, House Sparrow.

Happy New Year, and until we meet again in 2024 at the Visitor Center Pond
Overlook at 8am, happy birding!

Shep

--
Shep Thorp
Browns Point

Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually NWR, Thurston, Washington, US
Dec 27, 2023 7:31 AM - 4:05 PM
Protocol: Traveling
6.665 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Wednesday Walk. Cloudy with intermittent light
rain. Temperature in the 40’s degrees Fahrenheit. A Low 8’6” Tide at
12:30pm. Mammals seen Columbian Black-tailed Deer, Harbor Seal, Sea Lion.
70 species (+4 other taxa)

Cackling Goose (minima) 700
Cackling Goose (Taverner's) 6
Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima) 50
Northern Shoveler 250
Gadwall 40
Eurasian Wigeon 1 McAllister Creek Viewing Platform.
American Wigeon 750
Mallard 316
Northern Pintail 400
Green-winged Teal 1250
Ring-necked Duck 2 Visitor Center Pond
Surf Scoter 10
scoter sp. 30
Bufflehead 150
Common Goldeneye 45
Hooded Merganser 4
Common Merganser 2 Nisqually River.
Red-breasted Merganser 15
Horned Grebe 12
Anna's Hummingbird 2
American Coot 40
Long-billed Dowitcher 40 Surge plain.
Wilson's Snipe 2 One seen in flooded field south of the old McAllister
Creek Access Road, the other seen at the west entrance to the Twin Barns
Loop Trail.
Spotted Sandpiper 2 End of Nisqually Estuary Boardwalk Trail
Greater Yellowlegs 30
Dunlin 1500
Least Sandpiper 100
Bonaparte's Gull 80 Nisqually Reach
Short-billed Gull 75
Ring-billed Gull 50
Glaucous-winged Gull 1
Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid) 10
Larus sp. 200
Red-throated Loon 1 Shannon slough and McAllister Creek Viewing
Platform.
Common Loon 3
Brandt's Cormorant 3 Nisqually River Channel Marker.
Double-crested Cormorant 30
Great Blue Heron 40
Northern Harrier 3
Cooper's Hawk 1
Bald Eagle 14
Red-tailed Hawk 4
Belted Kingfisher 2
Red-breasted Sapsucker 5 Orchard, Big Maple next to the intersection
between the west side of the Twin Barns Loop Trail and Access Road, and Big
Maple next to Twin Barns Slough.
Downy Woodpecker (Pacific) 2
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) 6
Peregrine Falcon 1
California Scrub-Jay 1 Entrance Road
American Crow 300
Common Raven 1
Black-capped Chickadee 10
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 10
Golden-crowned Kinglet 15
Brown Creeper 8
Pacific Wren 4
Marsh Wren 8
Bewick's Wren 3
European Starling 200
Varied Thrush 2 Parking Lot and Orchard
American Robin 15
House Finch 12
Purple Finch 1
Pine Siskin 1
American Goldfinch 3
Fox Sparrow (Sooty) 3
White-crowned Sparrow 1
Golden-crowned Sparrow 30
Song Sparrow 25
Lincoln's Sparrow 2 Nisqually Estuary Trail
Spotted Towhee (oregonus Group) 3
Western Meadowlark 3 Mowed grass in freshwater marsh.
Red-winged Blackbird (Red-winged) 20
Yellow-rumped Warbler 8

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S157336503