[Tweeters] Birding the Cerrado in Brasil

Scott Ramos nearpost at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 19:57:56 PST 2023

Top birding locations in Brasil include the Pantanal and the Atlantic
rainforest. Having visited those places on a previous visit, when Dave
Swayne and I headed back to Brasil in late summer, 2023, we opted for
different locations. Our guide arranged multi-day stops in two prime areas
of the cerrado, the vast biome of central Brasil, consisting largely of
savannah and grasslands. The relatively dry habitat amid low scrub is
reminiscent of the shrub-steppe of our state, but with different flora and
fauna. Many of the birds we saw were endemic to the region.

I have finished (finally) a blog describing the trip, the birds and other
fauna we saw, and the locations we visited. We did spend a short time in
the Atlantic forest but most of our travel was in the areas around two
national parks: Serra da Canastra and Serra do Cipó.

https://naturenw.blog/2023/08/04/brasil-2023/

If you ever have a chance to visit Brasil for its birds and megafauna, the
Pantanal and Atlantic rainforest should top your list. But, if you want to
see more than the postcards, try to include the cerrado in your itinerary.

Scott Ramos
Seattle