[Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup - June 2023

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 20:11:09 PDT 2023

Hi Tweets,

We ended June with 170 species on the Edmonds year list. New species, in taxonomic order, include:

Common Nighthawk (code 4), central Edmonds and Lake Ballinger neighborhoods, 6-11-23; a third report at Edmonds marsh, 6-20-23.

Black Swift (code 4), 3 at Lake Ballinger neighborhood, 6-20-23.

Vaux’s Swift (code 3), 3 at Lake Ballinger neighborhood, 6-15-23; three subsequent reports at Edmonds marsh, 6-19, 6-24, and 6-29-2023.

Heermann’s Gull (code 1), 1 at waterfront, 6-19-23, and subsequent reports of one and two gulls. Seems to be a late arrival this year.

Brown Pelican (code 4), 1 flyby at waterfront, 6-16-23.

Eastern Kingbird (code 5), 1 at Edmonds marsh, 6-27-23. This is the second report of this species in Edmonds. The first was of a pair near the marsh, 6-6-14.

Willow Flycatcher (code 3), 1 at Yost Park, 6-15-23, with subsequent reports at Edmonds marsh, 6-17 and 6-19-23.

We considered two Brewer’s Blackbird (code 3) reports of single birds, but did not add the species to our year list. The reports were ticks on eBird checklists, lacking any information as to sex, age, critical field marks, or quality of the observation. We could not rule out data entry errors. This species has been notably absent for a while from Edmonds and at this point would be a challenging find. We will gladly add it to our year list if we find a report that includes the above information or a photo.

As always, I appreciate it when birders get in touch with me to share sightings, photos, or audio. It helps us build our collective year list. If you would like a copy of our 2023 city checklist, please request it from checklistedmonds at gmail dot com. (It reflects a species total of 280, including the Nazca Booby.) If eBirders will use the details field for unusual Edmonds birds (code 3 or rarer), it will help us build the city year list. Photographs or recordings are also helpful. The 2023 checklist is posted in the bird information box at the Visitor Station at the base of the public pier and is up to date through June.

Good birding,

Carol Riddell
Edmonds, WA

Abundance codes: (1) Common, (2) Uncommon, (3) Harder to find, usually seen annually, (4) Rare, 5+ records, (5) Fewer than 5 records