[Tweeters] Pileated woodpecker eating a bees’ nest in a backyard birdhouse

Emily Birchman stollea at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 20:39:29 PDT 2023

Hi all,
I just thought I’d share an interesting encounter I had with a pileated
woodpecker in my backyard this afternoon. We have a birdhouse on our fence
that has hosted a few families of chestnut backed chickadees in the past,
but this summer it was inhabited by bees (not sure of the species but not
yellowjackets or wasps).
Well, I said “was,” because after getting home this afternoon from my kids’
swim lessons we witnessed a pileated woodpecker pecking right through the
birdhouse wall to demolish the bees. It made a sizable hole and appeared to
be fearlessly eating the bees as they tried to escape - I saw it snap its
bill at them at least. Though it was probably also going for the larvae?
I’ve never seen anything like this but it was very fascinating! I couldn’t
even be upset about the destroyed birdhouse :D

Good birding,
Emily Birchman
Kenmore WA