[Tweeters] The Sparrow Wars-“still all men who wear a mustache…..”—-“Meet the Little Brown Bird That Holds a Mirror Up to Humanity | Audubon”

houstojc at plu.edu houstojc at plu.edu
Tue Jul 18 10:06:11 PDT 2023

Hello, Everyone,

I am late to the discussion, but I wanted to share that for many years we have only seen perhaps one bird or none from the House Sparrow group in our yard. When we first moved to the Gatewood neighborhood in West Seattle, there was a large colony in the blackberries next door and on the edge of our yard. The blackberries were removed. The House Sparrows gradually relocated entirely.

Our neighbors up the hill were the only ones with a strong community of House Sparrows. Their home had eaves, and they had a garden full of old-fashioned plants and shrubs. When the owners of the home passed away, and the property was sold and razed last spring, there were some desperate-seeming homeless House Sparrows. Within the last two weeks, a family of House Sparrows has “moved in” at our house. They seem to be roosting here as well. Dennis’s comment on their loss of nesting areas is most interesting. Changes made to our properties/communities do seem to affect them.

Janeanne Houston

West Seattle