[Tweeters] What did Robins do before ...

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Tue Jul 18 14:08:58 PDT 2023

Hi,

So when I think of a robin - it is in the yard working the lawn for
worms and insects. This has been true for my entire life (more than 70).
True enough that I've started to consider seeing a robin where there
wasn't some form of lawn near as 'exceptional'. A "lawn" would be any
area where it is mowed several times a year - not necessarily the
manicured lawns so many of us have.
We used to see a lot of robins in our yard. We converted our lawn to
all native plants (no grass). Now we still have the occasional robin
but no where near as many as when we had a lawn.

So my question for this group is "where did the robins feed - before
humans started planting lawns?".
- Jim in Burlington