[Tweeters] Robin food choices, Black Currants

Mark Borden markbordenmd at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 12:27:22 PDT 2023

While on the subject of robins, I just observed an interesting phenomenon. I have a patch of black currant that is about 10‘ x 10‘ and produces about 50 pounds of currants every year. For the first seven years birds never ate the currants. Then, suddenly last year, the robins discovered the currants, and about six individuals at a time were eating them over the course of a week. They completely cleaned the plants of every currant.

I expected that this year they would go for them again, but surprisingly, not a single robin is eating them this year. The plants were cleaned of fruit by this time last season, but are still full now, with no sign of robin interest.

Does anyone know if the same robins return to the same area each spring/summer? I would expect that the same robins would remember their feast from last year.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone