[Tweeters] Help with Bird ID?

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Sun Jul 23 08:23:44 PDT 2023

Hi,

I'm trying to 'get it right'. I've had this particular kind of bird
showing up at our feeders, and now fountain, for at least two years. I've
been calling it a house sparrow - but not confident in that. Let me
describe the bird to you:

Overall grey color, no distinct bands of color anywhere. Never any
bands of white or black anywhere on the body or head. "It's that
grey bird." No apparent changes due to seasonal differences or
age of bird.
The same overall size as a sparrow or a finch. A touch 'longer'?
Sometimes pretty small (juveniles?).
Body shape a little bit 'streamlined' - not ever plump but also
not skinny. Just 'trim'.
Bill and head are the same as a sparrow or finch.
Behaviors are essentially the same as sparrows or finches. Sometimes
on ground (like sparrows) but more often in the bushes, at the feeder,
or at our bubbler fountain.
Not 'vocal'. Not mute but not 'always singing'. Sounds are more 'chirps'
than 'songs'.
Often in twos or threes but usually one at a time. Does not fly in small
flocks like the Goldfinches. Never in large flocks. They do not 'fly
together' (usually).
Common - here several times a day. And here pretty much 'whenever you
might expect to see a sparrow or finch' (meaning year round for us).
Perhaps - not sure of this - just a bit more skittish than the rest of the
birds here (a slight tendency to flush more easily).
If I had to pick I'd say it mostly feeds on seeds rather than insects
But I might be wrong about that and only basing it upon what's available
here in our yard - that's true of all of the birds here.

Other birds we see all the time are sparrows (3 or 4 different types),
finches (including goldfinches), siskins (less common), chickadees,
Juncos, grosbeaks, waxwings, robins, towhees, even the occasional
jays and flickers and other larger birds. And Anna's (always Anna's).

We live on a hill that is mostly houses. The West side is forested
but we live on the East side where all the houses are. Many/most of the
yards are grass and planted non-native species (decorative) but the
undeveloped areas are firs, pines, and lots of alder. Quite a bit of
the hill is blackberry bramble (wherever it has been cleared and then
left alone for 5 or more years - "unmaintained"). Our house is at
most a city block or so from a couple of the undeveloped area. Many of
the trees in the yards are 20 feet tall. The house is about 300 feet
above the valley floor.

Soooo, any guesses about these birds?
- Jim in Burlington