[Tweeters] Pectoral Sandpiper and breeding gull sp. Hylebos Waterway, Tacoma, Pierce County 7/23/23

Bill Blackburn williamhblackburn at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 11:16:11 PDT 2023

All,

Yesterday, Sunday 7/23/23, I had an early juvenile Pectoral Sandpiper with
Western and Least Sandpipers. The Pec (and most of the shorebirds) were in
the vicinity of 47.281040, -122.393608 in the mud flats on the west side of
the Marine View Dr and E 11st intersection. I parked at the pullout on E
11th st and ended up walking through the mud around to the Marine View side
to get out of the sun and get better views. There wasn't a path that way,
so you might have better luck using one of the pullouts on Marine View.
At the time I didn't realize it was early for Pecs and left my camera in
the car. Hopefully someone else can relocate it today.

Additionally, further west on Marine View Dr I had a pair of gulls with a
downy chick sitting on a pylon at 47.284808, -122.407853 in front of a
large empty lot. I parked in one of the pullouts and wandered the mudflats
down to the corner of that property to view them. I currently have them
marked as "Olympia" Gulls but I was hoping to get some tips on what to look
for when separating Glaucous-winged from the hybrid swarm. This pair was
noticeably darker on the mantel and wingtips than most of the GWGU-types
I've seen around which is why I went to get a closer look. Do GWGUs breed
in the Tacoma area? Or only "Olympia" hybrids between GWGU and Western
Gull? I got a bunch of photos of those and will be adding them to the
ebird checklist today.

PESA checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S145450655
Breeding gulls checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S145450764

Bill Blackburn