[Tweeters] Tom Johnson

Steve Hampton stevechampton at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 20:10:50 PDT 2023

With heavy heart I forward this from Ryan Terrill, which he posted on
CalBirds. Tom Johnson was an East Coast birder mostly, based in Cape May. I
birded with him once on a Shearwater Journeys pelagic trip, and had some
limited email conversations with him. If I had to list the top #1 field
birder in the US, it would be Tom. He was phenomenal in the field, and
completely kind and wonderful to be around as well. His photographs and
videos on his Facebook page are a delight. It's a tragedy to lose him so
early in his life.

>From Ryan Terrill:

I think I speak for the broader birding community and especially my own
generation when I say I was absolutely devastated to hear of the passing of
Tom Johnson this Sunday. While he was not from California, his influence on
our community was as big as his heart and his hugs. He was the
kind-hearted, lovable person that we all wish we could be, and I counted
among the great blessings in life to have him as a friend. His influence as
an incredibly talented birder, compassionate human being, and good friend
to all who knew him touched all of us, and deeply influenced not only who
we are but who we want to be.

Everyone around my age knows Tom was singularly talented as a birder. Often
when I talk to people about the inevitability of my own errors, I’ll say
something like “I can never be Tom Johnson, so I just have to make sure I
admit mistakes when I make them”. This really isn’t hyperbole - he was the
(very rare) kind of guy that just was always right in the field - even if
he was on his first trip somewhere. He was notorious for finding rare birds
right under your nose while he was driving through a town you lived in. He
did this to me in, I think, just about every place I've lived across the
U.S.

He was incredibly knowledgeable and careful, and had no ego about his
talents. He really had no ego whatsoever. If I could compare him to any
literary figure, it would be Tom Bombadil - from the Lord of the Rings. He
was wise, friendly, incredibly knowledgeable, and simply unaffected by the
types of petty grievances that seem to constantly plague the rest of us. He
was free to share information and kind about mistakes. He taught me
everything I know about photographing birds in flight. He hyped me up about
good birds and good birding spots, and always checked in with me when we
hadn’t seen each other in a while, either to show me a cool or weird bird,
or just see how I was doing. He was the kind of guy that brightened your
day whenever you got the chance to talk to him or interact with him.

It is no exaggeration to say he was loved by all. It is, again, no
exaggeration to say I never heard an unkind word said about Tom. It’s hard
to write about someone who lived the types of superlatives that people say
about those that have passed, but it’s all true. He was one of a kind; and
I think most people reading this know what I am talking about.

I am absolutely heartbroken for his Melissa and his family. I don’t know
what else to say about it. I’m sorry if this is ineloquent but I’m too
emotional to say more here I think.

Tom Johnson was a good man. I am incredibly sad to see him go and the world
we live in is significantly worse off without him. Long may you run Tom.
Long may you run. We love you.

Ryan Terrill

--
Steve Hampton