[Tweeters] Westport Pelagic Trip, July 26, 2023. THREE ALBATROSS SPECIES DAY !!!

Bruce LaBar blabar at harbornet.com
Thu Jul 27 13:27:12 PDT 2023

WOW, quite the day! Eighteen birders, all from Washington, except two from Oregon, picked a great blue sky, good sea conditions day, for a remarkable adventure. Traveling out toward deeper water was somewhat slow bird wise. Common Murres, a few Sooty Shearwaters were the main birds observed. Finally, we approached 4 Shrimp boats near the shelf edge. Hundreds of birds were on the water and circling everywhere! Lots of Short-tailed, Pink-footed and Sooty Shearwaters, Northern Fulmars, our first Black-footed Albatross, a few Fork-tailed Storm Petrels and first year California Gulls gave us great views. One Flesh-footed Shearwater zipped by, seen by one observer.

Motoring slowly between the shrimpers, we began to see lot more Black-footed Albatross. Then the call came from the bow of the boat, that Bill Shelmerdine had spotted a juvenile SHORT-TAILED ALBATROSS among the Black-footeds! Everyone on board got excellent views and many photos were taken. As we were watching this wonderful bird, a Laysan Albatross flew in next to it. In one binocular view you could line up three species of albatross at one time! A second Laysan was spotted by Chris Anderson not that far away! After spending a lot of time around the boats, we started heading out past the shelf toward Grays Canyon. Two more Laysan were seen. We weren’t sure if they were the previous birds seen, but photos should help when examined.

Stopping to chum around the canyon, we had great views of Leach’s and Fork-tailed Storm Petrels, Red Phalaropes and a few Cassin’s Auklets.

The other highlight coming back, we encountered whale blows everywhere! A lot of splashing and flapper slapping, by a probable low estimate of 52 Humpback Whales!! Everyone got wonderful views and photos. This was our all time high for Humpbacks on one trip, the previous was 51!

Below are some totals that were recorded. For complete list, check our website in a few days.

Black-footed Albatross-141, Northern Fulmars-508, Pink-footed Shearwater-920, Sooty Shearwater-4113, Short-tailed Shearwater-357!, Fork-tailed Storm Petrel-156, Leach’s Storm-Petrel-13, Red-necked Phalarope-741, Red Phalarope-20, Pomarine Jaeger-3, Parasitic Jaeger-2, Cassin’s Auklet-12 and Rhinoceros Auklet-407.

For further information, please visit our website at www.westportseabirds.com. Many thanks to all who joined us on this trip. Not everyone on their first pelagic gets a three Albatross day in WA!!

Spotters were Scott Mills, Bill Shelmerdine and myself. Boat personnel were: Phil and Chris Anderson

Bruce LaBar
Tacoma, WA