[Tweeters] Billy Frank Jr Nisqually NWR Wednesday Walk for 6/7/2023

Shep Thorp shepthorp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 22:02:05 PDT 2023

Hi Tweets,

Approximately 30 of us had a really nice summer-like day at the Refuge with
temperatures in the 50's to 80's degrees Fahrenheit and a Low -3'4" Tide at
2:52pm. Highlights included nesting YELLOW WARBLER, very active BULLOCK'S
ORIOLE in the Maple and Cottonwood Trees at the west entrance to the Twin
Barns Loop Trail, numerous duck species, great looks at WILSON'S SNIPE, and
over 100 BALD EAGLES with the minus low tide on the Reach.

Starting out at the Visitor Center Pond Overlook we had nice looks of 10
WOOD DUCK ducklings with their hen. BARN SWALLOW were nesting in the
Visitor Center.

The Orchard was good for WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE, PURPLE FINCH, CEDAR WAXWING,
RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD and MOURNING DOVE. Both BUSHTIT and YELLOW WARBLER were
nesting along the maintenance and entrance roads.

The Access Road was quiet but we had nice looks of CHESTNUT-BACKED
CHICKADEE, SWAINSON'S THRUSH, WILLOW FLYCATCHER and COMMON YELLOWTHROAT.

The west entrance to the Twin Barns Loop Trail was busy with two BULLOCK'S
ORIOLE actively interacting and seemingly agitated. YELLOW WARBLER, HAIRY
WOODPECKER and WARBLING VIREO were also observed. The Twin Barns Overlook
was quiet, with additional views of TREE SWALLOW and WILLOW FLYCATCHER.

The Nisqually Estuary Trail or new dike had a good variety of waterfowl
with CINNAMON TEAL, BLUE-WINGED TEAL, GREEN-WINGED TEAL, NORTHERN SHOVELER,
GADWALL, AMERICAN WIGEON, NORTHERN PINTAIL, and RING-NECKED DUCK. WILSON'S
SNIPE, VIRGINIA RAIL, and SORA were all heard and seen.

The Nisqually Estuary Boardwalk Trail had good numbers of CASPIAN TERN,
CALIFORNIA GULL, and RING-BILLED GULL. Numerous DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT
and a few GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL were seen. Out on the Reach we counted 97
BALD EAGLE. CLIFF SWALLOW were nesting in the Puget Sound Observation
Platform

Both BALD EAGLE nests, in Cottonwood west of Nisqually River and Douglas
Fir west of Puget Sound Observation Platform, still have young actively
being fed by adults.

On our return we had nice looks of Raccoon at the Nisqually River
Overlook. BROWN CREEPER was seen along the east end of the Twin Barns Loop
Trail.

We observed 70 species for the day, and have seen 141 species this year.
Mammals seen included Eastern Cotton-tailed Rabbit, Columbian Black-tailed
Deer, Eastern Gray Squirrel, Harbor Seal, and Raccoon.

Until next week when we meet again at 8am. Happy birding.

Shep

--
Shep Thorp
Browns Point

Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually NWR, Thurston, Washington, US
Jun 7, 2023 6:20 AM - 2:55 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.197 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Wednesday Walk. Sunny with temperatures in the 50’s
to 80’s degrees Fahrenheit. A Low -3’4” Tide at 2:52pm. Mammals seen
include Eastern Cotton-Tailed Rabbit, Columbian Black-tailed Deer and
Harbor Seal.
70 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima) 20
Wood Duck 16
Blue-winged Teal 6
Cinnamon Teal 2
Northern Shoveler 4
Gadwall 2
American Wigeon 2
Mallard 50
Northern Pintail 2
Green-winged Teal 2
Ring-necked Duck 2
Hooded Merganser 1
Common Merganser 1 Observed at 300 feet with 60x spotting scope for
2-3 minutes preening and swimming in tidal estuary at high tide at 7am east
of Leschi Slough. Blended gray and red neck, very small white chin patch,
double pointed crested nape, and small white speculum when flying out.
Pied-billed Grebe 3
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 4
Mourning Dove 1
Rufous Hummingbird 4
Virginia Rail 2
Sora 1
American Coot 4
Killdeer 3
Wilson's Snipe 2
Ring-billed Gull 45
California Gull 75
Glaucous-winged Gull 4
Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid) 1
Caspian Tern 100
Brandt's Cormorant 3
Double-crested Cormorant 50
Great Blue Heron 40
Bald Eagle 103 Counted. Probably more. Used spotting scope to scan
Reach at low tide. Observed 97 birds using clicker. Increased count to
include adults on nests w/ chicks on Refuge
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Hairy Woodpecker 2
Pileated Woodpecker 1