[Tweeters] Caspian Tern Colonies

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Wed Jun 14 14:22:52 PDT 2023

Hi,

I don't know of a 'colony' location. I do know that there are Caspian
Terns that patrol the West shore of Whidbey and also are often seen at
Camano and Smith islands. All three of these are possibly(likely?) from
the colony at Rat/Fort Flagler. And I've seen Caspians at Fir Island
and Marches Point (old 50's spelling! and pronunciation) and Samish
Island.
I have NO idea what-so-ever how far a Caspian Tern will go in a
single day. With most species the existence of a "colony" is an
indication of easy food ("close") during the breeding season. I
wouldn't consider West Beach on Whidbey to be 'close' to Flagler ... ?

I continue to be "unimpressed" (read "dissatisfied") with the
available literature/documentation with respect to bird behaviors.
Even simple stuff like 'what does this species eat?' and/or 'what
does it eat during the ____ season?' is pretty hard to dig out.
I keep thinking that there must be some kind of searchable/easy to
use resource that 'serious birders and ornithologists use' ... but
I've yet to learn of them or even to be told "well, there is ____,
but since you aren't a professor of ornithology at Cornell you
can't get access to it."
I love eBird, Merlin, All About Birds, etc., etc., etc. - but as
soon as I have a question that goes beyond merely scratching the
surface I keep not getting answers. Or worse yet - answers that
are clearly speculation by someone who just wants to be (has to be?)
helpful.
I want reliable, deep dive, authorities! *G*

Case in point ... why can't Steve Hampton simply look up and
find where all of the Caspian Tern colonies are in Washington?

- Jim