birdmarymoor birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Jun 15 16:07:46 PDT 2023

Tweets - It could have been slightly warmer, but otherwise it was a delightful morning.  Baby birds were everywhere (young of at least 16 species were seen).  We even got a few species that we haven't had already this month :)

Highlights:
    Wood Duck - At least 4 females had clutches of ducklings, at least 25 in all
    Killdeer - Adult with two very small babies in the gravel parking lot
    Caspian Tern - Two flew north, First of Year (FOY)
    Cooper's Hawk - One being pursued by crows, first in 6 weeks
    Red-breasted Sapsucker - We now know of two nests with babies
    Red-eyed Vireo - One singing between boardwalk and East Meadow gave us great looks (FOY)

The Pileated Woodpecker babies apparently fledged since last Thursday, and we neither saw nor heard any.  In fact, despite Pileated Woodpeckers nesting in the Big Cottonwood Forest in at least 2 different years, we've NEVER seen PIWO during this week of the year.  I guess they fledge and flee.

I may have heard a Black-throated Gray Warbler singing across the slough from the windmill, but couldn't quite verify.

For the day, 60 species, including a very warn and battered juvenile gull, Larus sp.

= Michael Hobbs