[Tweeters] Puyallup River (Orting) Birding 6/16/2023

Christopher Clark cjbirdmanclark at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 14:33:47 PDT 2023

Good afternoon,

Yesterday I walked along the Puyallup River in Orting again, this time
going farther south than I usually do. In total, I walked a little over 6
miles! Compared to how extensive the levees are, that's barely
scratching the surface. Highlights included RED-EYED VIREO, BULLOCK'S
ORIOLE, and a likely AMERICAN REDSTART! EBird checklist is linked below,
which includes the hotspot pin where you can park.

In order not to get too wordy, here's a rundown of the highlights:

WOOD DUCK - A lone duckling in one of the ponds. Mom may have been flushed
a moment earlier but I couldn't confirm.

HUMMINGBIRD SPECIES: A hummingbird zipped by me that was uttering an odd
call, suspiciously similar to a Black-chinned Hummingbird. I wasn't able to
get any visuals though.

SPOTTED SANDPIPER: Several seen and heard along the Puyallup River. Always
a treat to see these guys!

WILLOW FLYCATCHER: Great numbers seen and heard all over the place. One of
the most common birds of the day!

RED-EYED VIREO: Several heard along various parts of the trail, including
right near the parking lot. One of the first birds I heard.

LESSER GOLDFINCH: A lone bird calling along the access road that connects
to Orville Rd. Regular here, but always a treat.

BULLOCK'S ORIOLE: One heard, one seen in different locations.

AMERICAN REDSTART: Likely female heard and briefly seen near marker 232.
Coordinates are found in my eBird checklist below. This bird was heard
periodically over the next 20 minutes, but slowly got farther away. May
have crossed the river?

LAZULI BUNTING: At least 8 or 9 seen and heard along the access road. A few
more heard south of here near some other open fields.

In total 48 species were observed. Checklist:
https://ebird.org/pnw/checklist/S141771186

Christopher Clark
Puyallup, WA