[Tweeters] Deer Lagoon Whidbey Island

Martin Muller martinmuller at msn.com
Sun Jun 18 19:36:12 PDT 2023

Over the past few weeks I’ve had occasion to visit south Whidbey Island.
Stayed overnight a couple of times not too far away from Deer Lagoon, so I made it out there a couple of mornings.

A selection of observations:
Saw the 37 White Pelicans for the first time (for me) a month ago.
Then two weeks ago and last week their numbers were down to 8, which coincided with the Tweeters reports of 25 or so of them at Padilla Bay and “flying over Bellingham.” I guess they did a little side trip.
Friday they were all back at Deer Lagoon.

Fun to see the flock work the lagoon for about an hour and a half in the early morning for prey (small items being collected at a rapid clip), then retreat to a shallow area or mudbank and preen and loaf. Some pretty tortuous positions are attained while preening with those large bills, especially under the wing close to the body.

Last week there still were a few Whimbrels on the tidal side of the dike. None these past two days.

I did see three pairs of Ruddy Ducks. The males in full breeding plumage and one of them doing Bubbling (courtship) Display. Also, still one Ring-necked Duck pair present among the heavily molting Mallards and Gadwalls.
Saw Violet-green, Tree, Cliff, Barn, and Northern Rough-winged swallows working the insects every visit.

A singing Common Yellowthroat was a new addition the past two days (since last weekend), as well as a small flock of Cedar Waxwings.

Last week there were 50 Caspian Terns present (both sides of the dike). These last two days over 80. A few males proffering small fish in exchange for copulations with receptive females (although many terns - I assume females - targeted by the courting males seem utterly uninterested and remove themselves).

Eagles abound, including a very light brown (cafe au lait) colored sub-adult, and at least two adult pairs whose young are big enough to be left alone for the adults to spend time away from the nest(s) together.

Osprey hunt over the bay (Useless Bay) but seem to use the lagoon more for loafing and bathing (land in the shallow water preen on the pilings).

Three out of four visits I saw River Otter there. Four the first time. Only one the other times. They too were coming up frequently with small fish (in one stretch I counted one otter surfacing with prey 15 times in a 20 minute stretch). The flightless ducks are pretty wary when the otter moves into their section of the lagoon. A great way to tell where the otter is.

Cheers,
Martin Muller, (near) Seattle
martinmuller at msn.com