[Tweeters] Chestnut-sided Warblers near Gig Harbor

byers345 at comcast.net byers345 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 20 08:25:34 PDT 2023

Hello Tweeters,

Cara Borre found a Chestnut-sided Warbler in a woodland near
Gig Harbor on June 8. Since then many people have reported this bird on
ebird and probably many others have just walked in to see this beautiful
warbler. I noticed that people who saw the bird on Sunday, June 18, said
that there might be two CSWAs, but couldn't confirm. With the break in the
weather yesterday, Bill and I headed down (from "up" in Edmonds) to see this
rarity. We did have the bird fly in and land about 10 feet away from us and
almost at eye level, where even I could get some decent shots of the bird.
Clearly a breeding-plumaged male.

Later, I posted my CSWA pictures on Facebook's Western
Washington Birder site. David Hartmann, whom I don't think ebirds, attached
his picture of a CSWA that he had taken on Sunday and noted that it probably
wasn't the same bird. I agree, and apparently this bird is a female. I
looked at all the pictures that others have posted on ebird and they are all
probably the same male bird I saw. David's is the only one showing a female
and on the same day that others thought there might be a male and female.

So I put my pictures and his picture on Flickr so you can see
them. Mine are the first 3 photos. David's is the 4th.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29258421@N07/albums/72177720309209013

BTW someone else filed an ebird report of a female CSWA that
he/she saw in Discovery Park a few days ago. I wonder if these songsters
are being driven here by the wildfires in Canada. Or maybe we always see
this many during June.

Charlotte Byers, Edmonds