[Tweeters] Mima Mounds (Thurston County) Loggerhead Shrike and Mountain Bluebirds - Yes!

Christopher Clark cjbirdmanclark at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 14:09:38 PDT 2023

Good afternoon,

This morning the LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE at Mima Mounds was still present. It was
easily seen, though distant, from the pullout off of Bordeaux Rd SW a
little after 10am. There are 2 pullouts a short distance away from each
other. The shrike was seen from both spots.

At Mima Mounds itself, the MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRDS continued, not too far from
the start of the outer trail. They made their way to the west side of the
reserve, where they were eventually too far away to see. On the south side
of the long trail, at about noon, the shrike was still present in the same
general area as earlier (Bordeaux Rd is much easier though since you don't
have to walk far). Also seen were American Kestrels, Red-tailed Hawks, Bald
Eagles, and a Northern Harrier, as well as Western Bluebird. Western
Meadowlarks were singing.

Overall it was a good day, with the weather being fair at times and
miserable at others. On the way back towards my car, the rain completely
soaked me. Thankfully I'm fine, as is my camera. There was something nice,
though, about the dreary weather today. Maybe it was the peace and quiet?
For most of my walk, I was completely alone, and there was something
peaceful about watching the rain move through the landscape, and hearing
the wind howl. Overall, it was a great morning, and I was able to get
several new Thurston County birds!

Christopher Clark
Puyallup, WA