[Tweeters] East 90 - Predictable, uncommon, and a surprise

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Thu May 4 20:08:57 PDT 2023

Hi,
Went back to the East 90 this afternoon. I got there earlier and
the place was pretty much dead except for a couple of GBH and a half
dozen or so RWB. As it neared 5:30 started to see more action. Got
to see a GBH catch and consume a vole, a Bald Eagle eating some kind
of 'dark carcass - probably winged' but didn't have a good enough
view to precisely identify the prey, and a RWB mobbing a Harrier.
Then the SEOWs started showing up - I didn't get to stay long enough
to see what time they disappeared but it was probably soon after I
left.
One thing that was interesting was that the GBH left as the Bald
Eagle was arriving and returned as soon as the Bald Eagle left.
Coincidence? Didn't feel that way to me. The eagle perched on
top of the pole on the inside of the East 90 turn and consumed
its dinner that it brought with it. I'm gonna go out on a limb
and say that it was probably a scoter or other such black sea bird.
It was too big to be an RWB - possibly a crow but I've never heard
of an eagle preying on crows/ravens.
Nice late afternoon/evening. BTW - I highly recommend the Cajun
Stew (seafood) at the Longhorn in Edison!
Oh yes, when leaving the Longhorn to come home I chose to go
back by the East 90. Dead/nothing except one GBH. BUT - there
was a small flock of Snow Geese in the field just East of the
Samish River bridge! My LOS for snows last year was May 6th.
- Jim