[Tweeters] It's Wednesday, this must be Nisqually.

Kenneth Brown kenbrownpls at comcast.net
Wed May 10 19:43:46 PDT 2023

On this warm, sunny day about 30 of us gathered for the weekly walk. We followed our default route beginning with the orchard where the busy Bushtit parents are still feeding young, as yet unseen but able make their sock bulge and move seemingly on its own. Mourning Doves and Band-tailed pigeons were also observed along with the first of several Rufous Hummingbirds. Several species of ducks were seen in the flooded fields, but their numbers are decreasing still. FOY Swainson's Thrushes and a Sora were heard on the boardwalk along the west side of the pond. We dipped on the Bullock's Oriole seen last week. Yellow Warblers seemed to be anywhere there was a tree. At the twin barns overlook, several participants announced their displeasure over the lack of string cheese and apple slices usually provided by the still absent Shep (the Benevolent). Out on the dike we were treated with two Yellow-headed Blackbirds. A Virginia Rail and lone Greater Yellowlegs were heard. Along the McCallister Creek boardwalk a large number of Caspian Terns accompanied the usual gulls, and Whimbrels were scattered over the exposed mud. 56 Bald Eagles were counted from the Puget Sound viewing platform alone, which might have accounted for the absence of most waterfowl. The complete list follows.

Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually NWR, Thurston, Washington, US
May 10, 2023 8:19 AM - 3:18 PM
Protocol: Traveling
5.31 mile(s)
67 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose 60 12 goslings
Wood Duck 5
Northern Shoveler 12
American Wigeon 8
Mallard 12
Northern Pintail 3
Green-winged Teal 2
Surf Scoter 2
Bufflehead 16
Common Goldeneye 5
Hooded Merganser 10 6 ducklings
Pied-billed Grebe 2
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 2
Band-tailed Pigeon 4
Mourning Dove 3
Rufous Hummingbird 6
Virginia Rail 1
Sora 1
American Coot 15
Whimbrel 18 Counted individually by several birders.
Greater Yellowlegs 1
Short-billed Gull 2
Ring-billed Gull 12
California Gull 2