[Tweeters] Possible Gyr Falcon- gray

Nelson Briefer nreiferb at gmail.com
Fri May 12 13:14:57 PDT 2023

I hesitate to mention Mabey raptors. I contacted some one on this list and
stated that I will not mention this sighting. However, what I observed does
put this raptor into the Maybe spectrum. May 11– about 1:30. On south
Ershig road, maybe call it Bow area, I drove under a large raptor, about
Red- tailed hawk size. The hawk was a grey in ventral areas and was
flapping. I did not notice the length of the tail. Therefor, the tail must
not have been accipiter long. Therefor , I am thinking a grey RT hawk. That
was a five second look. Then about a few miles later from Church Road, a
large grey raptor flying off my window at about 100 feet elevation. The
wing beats were of a Gry Falcon. The tail was not accipiter long. The
sighting was broadside. The shape of the wings were Gyr Falcon. On both
sightings I pulled over a few minutes later hoping to catch the raptor in
the sky. The second sighting was also about five seconds. I do have
experiences with Gry Falcons in flight. Nelson Briefer- Anacortes.