[Tweeters] Cowlitz birding 5/12

Tim Brennan tsbrennan at hotmail.com
Fri May 12 18:08:05 PDT 2023

Heya Tweets!

Kevin Black and I did some birding in the Toutle area of Cowlitz County today, and I continued up to a few areas just below Mount Saint Helens - lots of good birds were had!

Seaquest State Park had a singing Hutton's Vireo when I arrived - the first of 5-6 we came across during the day, which is always a nice surprise. Osprey, Marsh Wren, and Western Tanagers (everywhere, all day) were also found.

Canal Road - we stepped out of the car, actually still on sightly, and heard a Northern Pygmy Owl. It was heard throughout the morning there, and joined by a second. Other highlights were Sora, Tree Swallows nesting in the boxes along Canal Road, a late pair of American Wigeon, an early-ish Swainson's Thrush, and Band-tailed Pigeons.

We then took the road to Signal Peak, botching the directions at one point, missing the peak, but not really missing any birds. Hermit Warblers were up there singing like Hermit Warblers, but. . . having been burned by birds singing like Hermit Warblers before, I was pretty happy that we got some great views and pictures of a pure Hermit. From all accounts, this is a good place to find pure ones, and we heard many others. Canada Jay, House Wren, MacGillivray's Warbler, Orange-crowned Warbler, Evening Grosbeak, Red Crossbill, Northern Pygmy-Owl and Sooty Grouse were other highlights.

Somewhere early in the day I got my 150th life bird in Cowlitz, and Kevin was at 149 as we started heading down. An American Dipper under the bridge at Harry Gardner Park got him number 150 before he had to head home!

I continued up to Coldwater Lake, eventually finding the Barrow's Goldeneyes that go there for . . . summer camp, I'm sure.

Across the road at Hummocks Trail, I had a fun first - I actually got to see a booming Sooty Grouse! It was tucked under a tree, and almost entirely shaded, but I was able to get a few pictures. A Townsend's Solitaire was the other nice highlight on that trail.

Happy Birding!

-Tim Brennan
Renton