[Tweeters] A couple notes on warblerness of migration

BRAD Liljequist bradliljequist at msn.com
Sun May 14 12:28:39 PDT 2023

Being in the city it is hard to know just how many warblers/tropical migrants are moving through. These notes are by song, not sight.

I was on SW San Juan Island, s of False Bay, and Orange Crowned Warblers were seemingly everywhere (by song, I hardly saw any). Maybe 4-5 per mile along roads, along with a mix of Pacific Slope Flycatchers, Wilson's, Purple Finches, and onesies of other things like Olive sided flycatchers and Black headed Grosbeaks.

Yesterday, hiking to the top of Cougar Mt from SR900 (the trail s of Talus, always superb birding in migration), maybe the most migrants I've ever experienced there. Probably 25-30 Wilson's along the 2.5 miles from bottom to top, along with numbers of BH Grosbeaks, Pacific Slope Flycatchers, three black throated greys, Western Tanagers Warbling Vireos. This is a wonderful short hike, with lovely native understory and overstory. I find Cougar in general to be excellent birding.

Merlin has revolutionized my birding - I actually saw only 2-3 of these birds! And loving Birdcast - I get cynical about technology, but sometimes it really puts out!

I have yet to see or hear a Yellow Warbler this year which seems strange.

Brad Liljequist
Phinney Ridge, Seattle