[Tweeters] [Nancy Morrison & Constance Sidles] Pied-billed Grebe bahavior

Martin Muller martinmuller at msn.com
Sun May 14 16:41:23 PDT 2023

Nancy,

Thanks for sharing your excellent video of the Pied-billed Grebes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQFc912nfeI&t=1s <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQFc912nfeI&t=1s>).

Connie,

Thanks for quoting the Cornell (Birds of the World) information on this.

I’m slow in responding because I am on digest mode for Tweeters.
Several people alerted me to the video privately, as well.

I’ve looked at the video several times (probably a dozen by now). Back when I watched Pied-bills nest under semi-colonial circumstances on Green Lake (late-80s to early-90s) this Circle Display was most often seen between neighboring males on the border of their territories.

This particular duo shows some behavior I had not seen in Circle Display before. The repeated Swimming Shakes (when they rear up and shake their whole body with the body feathers fluffed up) and the short head-backwards movements, which to me looks reminiscent of when they are oiling their feathers and use their head to rub oil onto their back and wing feathers.

Both the head-rub and the Swimming Shake are part of self maintenance behavior (bathing, preening, etc.). Usually when that kind of behavior is stylized and used during displays, it has an appeasing function. Bathing and preening are not associated with fighting. So in my mind these signals are used to mediate the aggressive signals they are sending, including distended throat, fluffed out neck, slightly raised wings, being in close proximity (even brushing their tails up against the opponent during turns (“he started it, he touched me!”)), staring & pointing the bill (= weapon) at one another. The birds are conflicted (they are each at the edge of their defended territory), and so they are sending mixed signals.

A very similar display can be performed during early courtship, between a male and a female (usually only in new pairs). However, in this case the birds are very similar in size, and their bills are almost exactly the same size. Female Pied-billed Grebes have on average 10% smaller bodies than males and especially the depth (height) of the bill is less. If you freeze the video during instances when the bills are in the same plane/orientation, they appear almost exactly the same size (although the position of the surrounding feathers can make them appear different sizes).

Just like Connie said, my money is on territorial display too.

I would urge you to upload this video to the Macaulay Library (https://www.macaulaylibrary.org). Out of the 185 videos of Pied-billed Grebes, only one shows Circle Display. Your extended, high quality video, would be a valuable addition. Make sure to add Territorial Circle Display in the description.

I’m going to watch it one more time….

Martin Muller, Seattle
martinmuller at msn.com