[Tweeters] Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM) Eagle's Pride Golf Course (GC) monthly bird walk - 5-18-2023

Denis DeSilvis avnacrs4birds at outlook.com
Fri May 19 13:42:44 PDT 2023

Tweeters,

A bit of haze (from fires in British Columbia most likely), but a pleasant (54degF-72degF) walk around the JBLM Eagle's Pride GC for the 18 of us. We had several outstanding sightings as noted below:

BULLOCK'S ORIOLE - Possible returning pair found at the area near the Maintenance Pond. A nice first start to the day.

HERMIT WARBLER - Superb view of one of the four we found today. This one was in the usual spot we've had this species on the cut-through from the 4th hold (Green Course) to the Dupont housing area.

GREAT-HORNED OWL - Jon A spotted an adult and at least one fuzzy, but short-distance-flying, young in the forested area alongside the 14th hole. Great views.

BROWN CREEPER - Spotted one enter a crack in the bark of a Douglas-fir. Nest was apparent and low-down: about 4-feet off the ground.

PIED-BILLED GREBE - On nest at Hodge Lake; a typical breeding area we've seen over the past 10 years.

EVENING GROSBEAK - We haven't seen this species in a few years, and 9 of them were a nice treat.

PILEATED WOODPECKER - Another species we've not had recently, and we heard at least one sounding off from three different spots during the walk. Of the usual five woodpecker species around here, we only missed Hairy Woodpecker today.

OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER - At last, they're here.

WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE - As above, they're baaaacckk!

CASSIN'S VIREO - Jeez! The hits keep coming.

WARBLERS - Besides the Hermit, we found ORANGE-CROWNED, BLACK-THROATED GRAY, YELLOW-RUMPED, YELLOW, WILSON'S, and COMMON YELLOWTHROAT.

An Eagle's Pride GC worker showed two of us photos of a bird he saw recently and couldn't identify. It was an excellent photo of a RUFFED GROUSE! Because of the habitat around the golf course, we've been anticipating finding this species for many years. Now that we're sure it's a possibility of finding one, we'll be even more watchful.

The JBLM Eagle's Pride GC birders meet the third Thursday of each month at 8:00AM. Starting point is Bldg # 1514, Driving Range Tee, Eagle's Pride Golf Course, I-5 Exit 116, Mounts Road Exit. Upcoming walks include the following:

* June 15

* July 20

* August 17

Anyone is welcome to join us!

>From the eBirdPNW report:

61 species

Wood Duck 4

Mallard 11 8 young plus adult female at 9th hole pond; two adults at Hodge Lake.

Pied-billed Grebe 2

Band-tailed Pigeon 10

Mourning Dove 2

Anna's Hummingbird 3

Rufous Hummingbird 2

Osprey 1

Bald Eagle 4

Red-tailed Hawk 2

Great Horned Owl 2

Red-breasted Sapsucker 1

Downy Woodpecker 1

Pileated Woodpecker 1

Northern Flicker 3

Olive-sided Flycatcher 4

Western Wood-Pewee 8

Pacific-slope Flycatcher 5

Hutton's Vireo 5

Cassin's Vireo 3

Warbling Vireo 4

Steller's Jay 3

American Crow 1

Common Raven 1

Black-capped Chickadee 5

Chestnut-backed Chickadee 11

Purple Martin 2

Tree Swallow 20

Violet-green Swallow 20

Barn Swallow 45

Golden-crowned Kinglet 18

Red-breasted Nuthatch 9

Brown Creeper 1

House Wren 9

Bewick's Wren 2

European Starling 2

Swainson's Thrush 9

American Robin 110

Cedar Waxwing 7

Evening Grosbeak 9

House Finch 10

Purple Finch 5

Red Crossbill 4

American Goldfinch 5

Chipping Sparrow 5

Dark-eyed Junco 20

White-crowned Sparrow 36

Song Sparrow 15

Spotted Towhee 10

Bullock's Oriole 2

Red-winged Blackbird 8

Brown-headed Cowbird 12

Orange-crowned Warbler 5

Common Yellowthroat 1

Yellow Warbler 16

Yellow-rumped Warbler 3

Black-throated Gray Warbler 4

Hermit Warbler 4

Wilson's Warbler 4

Western Tanager 15

Black-headed Grosbeak 16

View this checklist online at https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Febird.org%2Fchecklist%2FS138413009&data=05%7C01%7C%7Ce6156d221bc44f7c3eca08db58a7a4b9%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638201249298019109%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=GvtvdUjp4Q59TpIq7Z5EDbKn1W%2B90YgOdoZpha3e4AA%3D&reserved=0<https://ebird.org/checklist/S138413009>

May all your birds be identified,
Denis

Denis DeSilvis
Avnacrs 4 birds at outlook dot com