[Tweeters] Yes, it IS possible to buy a better birding camera

Robert O'Brien baro at pdx.edu
Sun May 21 09:05:23 PDT 2023

Thanks to Jim for a very helpful birding camera review. I'm still using an
older Canon EOS 7D Mark II which is a very good camera, but maybe not
"great"?
I'd say its weak point is autofocus, especially when the subject is in
a,say, a twiggy environment where the twigs confuse the AF system.
I'm guessing from the review that this is less-of, or not, a problem? This
is always a major problem with bird photography.

But a more general question I've always had is why to buy a zoom lens for a
'birding' camera. For a general purpose camera a zoom lens has the obvious
advantages. But for a bird camera, would not a 400mm lens, lacking lots of
useless moving parts, be better. Would you ever want to use the 100mm for
a bird? This would be when you're too close to the bird? That has always
been a puzzler for me, why so many 'serious' birder photographers buy zoom
lenses.
Grateful for any and all answers to both questions.
Bob OBrien Portland