[Tweeters] More on cameras and lenses

Jay E jaybham52 at gmail.com
Sun May 21 15:13:02 PDT 2023

I have been reading the thread on cameras and lenses with interest. The
comparison of the Nikon D500 vs. the Canon R7 isn't really fair, since the
Nikon is a DSLR and the Canon is mirrorless. But the mirrorless cameras
from Sony, Nikon, Canon, Olympus, etc., all have firmware to help with
autofocus on moving objects and eye detection for animals. None are
perfect and I still believe it's up to the photographer to make the
picture. And there's some luck in being in the right place at the right
time with the right camera settings, with good lighting and wind.

I have a Nikon Z7ii and use a 500mm PF Nikon f/5.6 lens for almost all
birding and wildlife. They've been around the world with me and perform
very well. Big prime lenses are usually big, heavy and expensive. I
rented a few before going with my 500mm, which was about 1/3 the price and
1/3 the weight of the big lenses that are f/4 I also carry a 70-200mm zoom
with a 1.4 teleconverter for bigger beasts like whales, bears, etc. For
long trips I also carry my Nikon D850 as a backup, or occasionally have the
zoom on it while the Z7ii has the 500mm.

Just another set of opinions to add to the mix.

Regards - Jay
Bellingham, WA