[Tweeters] Low Flying Canada Goose Flock - Migrants?

Tom Benedict benedict.t at comcast.net
Mon May 29 19:47:15 PDT 2023

We live in a part of Burien, WA which overlooks Puget Sound. Last Saturday, May 27, 2023, I heard a large number of honking geese coming from the west, so I looked up to see what they might be. We typically see geese flocks flying quite high but these were below out elevation (around 300 FASL. Once I spotted them I could see that they were Canada Geese and the flock was around 80 birds in a V formation headed north.

Would these have been migratory geese? Seems a little late for them to still be headed to nesting grounds. However, the size of the flock seems exceptionally large, at least around here, for a local population.

Tom Benedict
Seahurst, WA