[Tweeters] Feeder demands and behavior

Martha Jordan mj.cygnus at gmail.com
Wed May 31 11:11:17 PDT 2023

Since the band tailed pigeons were mobbing my feeders the past several
weeks and then depositing their droppings on my cars as they flew out, I
decided to take the feeders down. Also using my feeders were a number of
smaller birds: black capped chickadee, rufous sided towhee, evening
grosbeak, juncos, etc. On many occasions when the feeders were emptied
by the pigeons, one or two would fly from the feeder and hang on the window
frame of the house to let me know they were displeased and to get me to
come out and rectify the egregious oversight.
The feeders are down. And today the little guys are coming around and
sitting on the pole looking forlorn. And then a plucky junco flies over to
the window and hangs on to the sill, fluttering and looking in. He did this
for about 20 seconds, and then did it again. It is now hanging out on the
feeder pole......waiting.
Their pleas have been heard. I will fill the feeders again.
And amazing how the little guys learned from their bigger feeder
friends. And how intelligent birds really are.
Does anyone else see this behavior?

Martha Jordan
Everett, WA