[Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup - September-October 2023

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 13:22:33 PDT 2023

Hi Tweets,

We ended October with 188 species on the Edmonds year list. New species, in order by date, include:

Pomarine Jaeger (code 4), 1 southbound at Water Street, 9-7-23.

Franklin’s Gull (code 4), 1 juvenile at Shell Creek, 9-17-23.

Northern Harrier (code 3), 1 at Edmonds marsh, 10-2-23, with a second sighting there, 10-15-23.

Sabine’s Gull (code 4), 1 at the waterfront in the near shore waters, 10-4-23.

Cassin’s Finch (code 5), 1 at north Edmonds yard, 10-6-23. (This is a new species for the Edmonds list: # 281.)

Black-bellied Plover (code 4), 2 southbound at the waterfront, 10-11-23.

Lapland Longspur (code 4), 2 at the waterfront, 10-12-23.

Long-tailed Duck (code 3), 1 flying southbound at Marina Beach, 10-26-23.

Other reports: A Great Horned Owl (code 4) was heard calling in the Seaview neighborhood about 9:30 p.m., 9-3-23. Eight California Scrub-Jays (code 4) appeared in a yard with feeders on the west end of Puget Drive, on the morning of 9-6-23. They flew off to the northeast. There were two September reports of probably a continuing Great Egret (code 4), one at Edmonds marsh 9-4-23 and one at the waterfront, 9-27-23.There were two reports of Brown Pelican (code 4) on the waterfront 10-10-23 and one in the marina 10-19-23. Three Turkey Vultures (code 3) flew southbound through Edmonds, stopping for a rest in a cedar before moving on, 10-12-23.

We have decided not to add two species for which there are eBird reports. There are two reports, with no documentation, of Brewer’s Blackbird (code 3), by two separate out-of-state visitors. This was always a difficult bird to see in Edmonds other than the one pair that lived along the waterfront for many years, the female continuing for several more after the male disappeared. There have been no reports by locals who bird here regularly. These may well be data entry errors as Brewer’s Blackbird is next to Red-winged Blackbird on the checklist. The other involves two October single, undocumented reports of Short-billed Dowitcher (code 4) in the marsh. Non-breeding dowitchers can be difficult to distinguish, particularly at the distance they are usually seen in the marsh. With no further information available, we cannot conclude that these were accurate sightings of such a rare bird for Edmonds.

As always, I appreciate it when birders get in touch with me to share sightings, photos, or audio. It helps us build our collective year list. If you would like a copy of our 2023 city checklist, please request it from checklistedmonds at gmail dot com. (It reflects a species total of 280, including the Nazca Booby.) If eBirders will use the details field to add critical field mark for unusual Edmonds birds (code 3 or rarer), it will help us build the city year list. Photographs or recordings are also helpful. The 2023 checklist is posted in the bird information box at the Visitor Station at the base of the public pier and will be up to date through October today.

Good birding,

Carol Riddell
Edmonds, WA

Abundance codes: (1) Common, (2) Uncommon, (3) Harder to find, usually seen annually, (4) Rare, 5+ records, (5) Fewer than 5 records