[Tweeters] Seattle’s Adaptable Urban Cooper’s Hawks – Thursday Nov 9 7 pm via Zoom or in-person

Steve Loitz steveloitz at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 11:52:44 PST 2023

I have seen more COHAs in rural and wild areas than in urban or suburban
areas, thus "Suburban Hawk" does not work for me. I am interested in Ed
Deal's take on this.

For those of you who have not seen Ed's presentation, I highly recommend
doing so. Earlier this year, Ed gave his presentation to Kittitas Audubon
and it was very informative and highly entertaining.

Steve Loitz
Kittitas Audubon Society President
Ellensburg

On Mon, Nov 6, 2023 at 8:24 AM Doug Santoni <dougsantoni at gmail.com> wrote:

> Based on the trends highlighted below, maybe its new (non-eponym) name

> will be “Adaptable Hawk” or “Suburban Hawk.” I also like “Birdfeeder Hawk.”

> Doug Santoni

> Seattle, WA

> Dougsantoni at gmail dot com

> On Nov 6, 2023, at 10:14 AM, Kathleen Snyder <ksnyder75 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thirty years ago, Cooper’s Hawks began colonizing urban and suburban

> landscapes throughout the US, developing a tolerance for living near

> humans. Ed Deal, from Seattle’s Urban Raptor Conservancy, will provide

> insights into these birds. Since 2012 the group has monitored the hawk’s

> nesting density and productivity; the population has nearly tripled in just

> 12 years. Please join us to learn about the hawk, their nest site

> fidelity, migration and dispersal patterns as well as the protocols used

> for the study. This free program from Black Hills Audubon Society

> requires registration at:

> https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYvduGuqj8vGNRfpHBaRZrV4p9ppNteoSVU

> You can also join us in person at Temple Beth Hatfiloh at 201 8th Ave SE,

> Olympia where there will be refreshments and social time at 6:30. Ed

> will be speaking live from the Temple.

Steve Loitz
Ellensburg, WA
steveloitz at gmail.com