birdmarymoor birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Nov 9 15:05:49 PST 2023

Tweets - The weather was much better than last week, but for the first few hours the fog was either thick or thicker.  Once we were past the Lake Platform, though, it thinned out quite a bit.  Not too cold, not windy, and no precipitation, so an above-average day for November.

Highlights
    Bald Eagle - Two at the lake, one of which caught what appeared to be an American Coot
    Merlin - One ENE of the Viewing Mound.  We've had Merlin 8 of the last 12 weeks
    Black-capped Chickadee - Especially numerous, in flocks of dozens
    BOHEMIAN WAXWING - One at the Rowing Club, between the boathouse and the dock
    Purple Finch - First in about a month
    Pine Siskin - One or two fairly large flocks (~30), after a few weeks of tiny groups or singletons
    White-throated Sparrow - One near the third Dog Swim Beach

This is only the 4th time we've had BOHEMIAN WAXWING at Marymoor.  There was one in a flock of Cedar Waxwings during Feb-Apr, 2012; 2 on 2016-12-01; and 1 on 2021-12-30.

Misses today included Common Merganser, Anna's Hummingbird, Short-billed Gull (though we had a quick flyover flock that looked likely), California Gull (though there were many gulls we couldn't ID in the fog), Northern Shrike, Cedar Waxwing, and Yellow-rumped Warbler.

For the day, 53 species, but about eight of those were heard-only.

= Michael Hobbs
= BirdMarymoor at gmail.com
= www.marymoor.org/birding.htm