birdmarymoor birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Nov 16 13:04:42 PST 2023

Tweets - while many of you may have had a gorgeous morning today, at Marymoor it was cold (31 degrees at 7:30) and FOGGY.  Again.  For a while, we could barely see the far side of the slough.  Somewhat birdy, but low on surprises.

Highlights:
    Swans - Three silent birds as the fog cleared, presumably Trumpeters.  First swans of fall
    Common Merganser - Two flying towards the lake.  First in a month
    Hairy Woodpecker - One male, and later one female
    Merlin - Again
    Northern Shrike - East of the East Meadow - for the survey, First of Fall (FOF)
    Varied Thrush - Only seen in high fly-overs - three total
    White-crowned Sparrow - Singing "gambelli" subspecies

A late scan of the lake turned up a WESTERN GREBE (FOF)

Yesterday afternoon, I watched a SHORT-EARED OWL driven off by crows heading to their night roosts (FOF).

Misses today included Green-winged Teal, Ring-necked Duck, Rock Pigeon, Short-billed Gull, Bushtit, Purple Finch, Lincoln's Sparrow, and Yellow-rumped Warbler.

For the day, 52 species.

= Michael Hobbs
= BirdMarymoor at gmail.com
= www.marymoor.org/birding.htm