[Tweeters] Sunday Special Yard Birds

Dee Dee deedeeknit at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 19 22:06:11 PST 2023

This past Sunday morning started with noticing a lovely White-throated Sparrow in our yard, before had even finished breakfast. Just the 2nd time seeing one as a yard-bird. Saw it off and on up through dusk.
While standing by the window still pumped about that, a Varied Thrush at the far corner of the yard caught my eye. I should mention that last winter was my first time (in over 13 year’s living here) of seeing Varied Thrushes in my yard—first a male and a month or so later, a female—so its still a Big Deal to me to see them as yard birds.
Coincidentally, there had been a beautiful male Varied Thrush in the yard the day before the first White-crowned Sparrow appeared on October 30th. Found it intriguing that on this Sunday the two unusual-in-my-yard species appeared simultaneously.

About an hour later, saw a FOS Pine Siskin on a feeder with one of the regular goldfinches; not much later, I saw 2 siskins together. Had been wondering this Fall if this would be a non-siskin winter like last year, but was watching for them. If this is a precursor of a siskin-filled winter like those a few winters ago, I want to be prepared with extra seed!

Dee
Edmonds