[Tweeters] Historical Perspective on Re-naming Birds

Robert O'Brien baro at pdx.edu
Tue Nov 21 20:52:26 PST 2023

A related perspective. My wife has a plant nursery and we, like most
dedicated gardeners, seem to have little problem in learning the Latin Name
plus the common name of a subspecies or of a cultivar (cultivated
variety). A pine found by an Elk Hunter in the Wallowa Mtns and
extensively propagated (but still quite expensive) is a normal bright green
in summer like any other Lodgepole Pine, but in winter turns to a
brilliant gold. This is not fall color, the same needles are changing
colors seasonally back and forth. it was named for Chief Joseph, a later
(than the trees) inhabitant of these mountains..
*Pinus contorta latifolia* 'Chief Joseph'. Lodgepole Pine. There are many
thousands of these in cultivation today, all propagated by grafting from
this one fantastic 'find'. Grafts of grafts, etc. A genetic modification.
Such varieties cannot be propagated by seed as they don't come true. Only
vegetatively.
Before 1959 it was fashionable to give a cultivated variety a latin name.
This might have named the above pine *Pinus contorta latifolia* 'Aurea'..
After 1959 such use of Latin for newly named cultivated varieties was
outlawed, as was the use of cv. to indicate a cultivar. The initials cv.
are now just assumed in the name.
Anyhow my main point is that a great many 'plant people' are quite happy
using Latin names. As for me I'm quite happy with English names for birds.
But I have my limits. Siberian Tit (mostly a far northern Eurasian
resident) was changed to Gray-headed Chickadee. Arggg. Later,
Blue-throated Hummingbird was changed by the same group to Blue-throated
Mountain-gem. Double Argg-Argg. (I don't know the latin word for Argggg)
Bob OBrien Portland