[Tweeters] Wednesday Walk at Billy Frank Jr Nisqually NWR for 11/22/2023

Shep Thorp shepthorp at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 20:26:37 PST 2023

Dear Tweets,

Approximately 30 of us enjoyed a dry, cool, breezy day at the Refuge with
temperatures in the 40's to 50's degrees Fahrenheit and a High 14'5" Tide
at 1:25pm. Highlights included numerous VARIED THRUSH and an
Intergrade NORTHERN FLICKER in the Orchard, WILSON SNIPE in the flooded
fields west of the Access Road along the west side parking lot,
LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS in the surge plain north of the dike, WHITE-THROATED
SPARROW in the bramble just before Leschi Slough goes under the dike, and
good numbers of waterfowl and shorebirds with the tidal push. We had nice
looks of CACKLING GEESE, both minima and taverners. A nice raptor show
with two MERLINs, a PEREGRINE FALCON, at least three NORTHERN HARRIER, and
a RED-SHOULDERED HAWK was heard in the riparian stand along the east side
of the Surge Plain. We had great looks of LEAST SANDPIPER roosting on logs
and dorment gum weed during the high tide at the end of the boardwalk. We
were unable to relocate any owls, but had nice looks of ORANGE-CROWNED
WARBLER in mixed flocks in the Orchard and at the Nisqually River
Overlook. See eBird report copied below.

We observed 67 species for the day, and have seen 172 species this year.
Mammals seen included Columbian Black-tailed Deer, Eastern Gray Squirrel,
Harbor Seal and Sea Lion on wrecked barge off Dupont.

Until next week when we meet again at 8am, good birding and Happy
Thanksgiving.
Shep

--
Shep Thorp
Browns Point

Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually NWR, Thurston, Washington, US
Nov 22, 2023 7:39 AM - 3:55 PM
Protocol: Traveling
6.446 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Wednesday Walk. Mostly cloudy with temperatures in
the 40’s to 50’s degrees Fahrenheit. A High 14’5” Tide at 1:25pm. Mammals
seen Columbian Black-tailed Deer, Eastern Gray Squirrel, Harbor Seal, and
Sea Lion.
67 species (+7 other taxa)

Greater White-fronted Goose 1
Cackling Goose (minima) 2000
Cackling Goose (Taverner's) 40
Canada Goose 30
Northern Shoveler 300
Gadwall 40
Eurasian Wigeon 2
American Wigeon 3670
Mallard 300
Northern Pintail 500
Green-winged Teal 2500 Estimated by 100x, over flooded fields, surge
plain, and tidal estuary.
Ring-necked Duck 2
Greater Scaup 3
Surf Scoter 8
Bufflehead 100
Common Goldeneye 5
Hooded Merganser 1
Common Merganser 2
Red-breasted Merganser 10
Horned Grebe 5
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 25
Mourning Dove 2
Anna's Hummingbird 1
hummingbird sp. 1
American Coot 12
Long-billed Dowitcher 35
Wilson's Snipe 2
Greater Yellowlegs 55
Dunlin 250
Least Sandpiper 400
Short-billed Gull 100
Ring-billed Gull 75
Glaucous-winged Gull 2
Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid) 5
Western/Glaucous-winged Gull 25
Larus sp. 250
Common Loon 1
Brandt's Cormorant 7
Double-crested Cormorant 20
Great Blue Heron 15
Northern Harrier 3
Cooper's Hawk 1
Bald Eagle 12
Red-shouldered Hawk 1 Vocalizing north of dike or Nisqually Estuary
Trail in Riparian Forest west of the Nisqually river and east of Surge
Plain.
Red-tailed Hawk (calurus/alascensis) 2
Belted Kingfisher 2
Downy Woodpecker (Pacific) 3
Northern Flicker 2
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) 4
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted x Red-shafted) 1
Merlin 2
Peregrine Falcon 1
American Crow 200
Common Raven 2