[Tweeters] Two Great Egrets flying at Samish River Bridge near East 90

Dan Reiff dan.owl.reiff at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 23:47:52 PST 2023

Hello Tweeters,
This afternoon, I was surprised to see two Great Egrets flying down river and over the Samish River Bridge near the East 90. They were flying single file about 30 feet apart and flew into Samish bay.
On Monday night, I searched for owls after dark in the greater Samish area.
I was looking for hunting Barn owls, which I can usually find in these areas. Not this time.
A male hatch year Barred owl was actively hunting around the West 90 parking area.
I found another Barred owl hunting near the “SE 90” (Field road)- a place that I have seen hunting Barn owls in the past.
I was very surprised to see them in either area. It doesn’t bode well for the Barn Owls.
The next day I checked eBird to see if anybody had seen Barred owls near the “90s”. One had been reported about six days ago at the West 90 parking lot.
Happy Thanksgiving tweeters community!
Dan Reiff
Mercer Is.
Sent from my iPhone