[Tweeters] re Historical Perspective on Re-naming Birds

Steve Hampton stevechampton at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 17:04:14 PST 2023

I encourage readers to look at the recommendations to the American
Ornithology Society Council, especially pages 11-19. The rationale for the
changes go well beyond the simple media characterizations of a few bad
apples and babies with the bathwater. There is no desire to cancel or erase
anyone, but simply that human history and honors be remembered in ways that
are separate from the English names of birds.

The document is posted by the AOS here.
https://americanornithology.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/1-AOS-EBNC_recommendations_23_10_19.pdf

I suggest additional reflection regarding the concept that present mores
are being applied to past behavior. This argument centers white history to
the exclusion of Black and Native perspectives. Blacks have always opposed
slavery and Natives have always opposed ethnic cleansing. And whites have
been pretty split over those things -- even fighting a civil war. The
English naming process at the time excluded most segments of society and,
even within 1850s ornithology, had little process for moderation. For
example, Scott's Oriole was coined when Scott had just been a major party
candidate for president. So, a completely inappropriate bird name and yet
there was no process to challenge it.

In the context of our present reality, with environmental conservation
routinely falling out of the top concerns of politicians, and birding and
ornithology (and outdoor activities and environmental science in general)
struggling to be more than just a luxury hobby and issue for white people,
the AOS is hoping to send a message that they are serious about their
commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and want to broaden support
for birds and bird conservation across a wide demographic, especially
younger generations. I hope the re-naming process, which will involve
public input, generates excitement among those who previously never thought
of themselves as bird advocates.

​Steve Hampton​
Port Townsend, WA (qatáy)