[Tweeters] Skagit King Tide Report

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Fri Nov 24 22:31:22 PST 2023

Hi all,

Went to Hayton to see the King Tide today. When I got there the
tide was almost
full but still pushing in thru the pipes. "Full" was about 2 to 3
feet below the
top of the dike (where you walk).
There were a lot of Dunlin sitting on the logs near the dike with the pipes
under it. The ducks were in close to the dike (mostly Pintails). The
air above
was repeatedly filled with Snow Geese and there were large flocks of Snows
way over to the East near the mouth of the Skagit that kept getting up and
flying around and settling down - and even more coming in from the direction
of Oak Harbor.
The sky was almost cloudless but still very blue, almost no wind -
but the air
was cold and I kept my hands in my pockets except to use my camera. No sound
of gunfire so I'm not sure what it was that was stirring up the Snows to the
East.
A pair of Eagles were 'resting' in the top of the tree with the nest.

After leaving Hayton I went to the East 90 ... probably 50 cars and 100 to
150 people ... all watching the show that the Short-Eared Owls (SEOW) were
putting on. A couple of Harriers, no eagles that I saw, several RTH on the
wires and poles. One bird on a pole along Farm-to-Market that may have
been a Roughy. Lots of long lenses about these days.

A fine day for birding! Even if Snow Goose Produce is closed for the
Winter ... so no ice cream today. *G*
- Jim in Skagit