[Tweeters] Renaming birds (dropping eponyms)

Steve Loitz steveloitz at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 15:33:56 PST 2023

Dennis,

First, you chose to lead with a rebuttal of an ancillary point in my
statement. I plainly stated that eponyms derived from the names of powerful
and/or influential people (e.g., Lewis, Clark) was NOT my primary beef. I
mentioned it in a footnote. (Note the asterisk in my original post.) Again,
I object to naming wild things or wild places after humans -- of any social
status.

Second, I never suggested that bird eponyms were assigned to "gain
notoriety" or as an ego trip. That was not in my posting. Maybe you've
confused me with someone else.

Third, I respectfully decline to go down the "cancel culture" rabbit hole.
The AOU nor anyone else has suggested that those people be wiped from
history, text books and other reference works.

I have read all of the Tweeters postings on this subject matter. I
appreciate the thoughtful offerings of you and others, but I remain unmoved
from my belief that wild things and wild places should not be named after
individual humans.

Steve Loitz
Ellensburg

Steve Loitz