[Tweeters] rude

pan panmail at mailfence.com
Mon Nov 27 11:42:44 PST 2023

I refer to birds.  Yesterday afternoon, I saw a bird fly in that looked a little different, and with binoculars saw it was the first goldfinch I've had land in plain sight out my window.  (There's sometimes a small flock feeding in sycamores on the other side of some buildings.)  I was just enjoying it, through binoculars, when a large bird seemed to displace it at speed, though it didn't land.  Then I figured maybe a Cooper's Hawk had nabbed it.  No hawk visible.  Then a crow flew to the neighboring roof with something in its bill.  I got a better angle, and sure enough, the crow proceeded to pluck the goldfinch (!).  I knew they ate a lot of chicks, but catching an adult finch on an open perch?  I think the finch being alone was its mistake.  Another reason not to feed crows.

While I have you, questions about my augmented junco in the Licton Springs neighborhood.  I know some have extra white, but this one matches one I had at my prior residence the last few years, on Capitol Hill.  This one's not quite as dark, and the white feathers may not be as long.  They're male Oregons, with little white patches, one either side, below and behind the ear area in the dark hood.  The white feathers are a little longer than the surrounding plumage.  He didn't follow me north.  Is this a known variant?  How common are they?

Good birding,

Alan Grenon

Seattle
panmail AT mailfence period com