[Tweeters] Gull identification in Puget Sound

Mark M. Walton waltom at uw.edu
Fri Oct 13 08:12:30 PDT 2023

Wow! You did an incredible job putting that together. It’s exactly what I desperately need to improve my own skills. I confess that there are at least three Olympics in your photos that I would have mis-identified as glaucous winged. The question of where to draw the line between “Olympic with relatively little western influence” and a glaucous winged gull -- or “Olympic with a lot of western influence” versus “western gull” is daunting enough for me at this point that, when I go seawatching, I tend to dump the majority into “glaucous winged/western” just to make sure I don’t screw it up. 😃

Fantastic job, Steve! Thank you so much for doing this.

Mark Walton