[Tweeters] Wahkiakum and Cowlitz birding weekend

Tim Brennan tsbrennan at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 17 13:08:05 PDT 2023

Hey Tweets,

I spent a couple of days birding down in the southwest corner of the state, and found a few more year birds along the way. In Wahkiakum County, I started Saturday morning trying to relocate an American Redstart (!!!) that Andrew Emlen had in his yard the previous day. We came up empty, with no more than a few interesting isolated calls, and some undisappointing views of a Townsend's Warbler. During the search, Pine Siskins and Red Crossbills were part of the morning list - the first time I'd caught these finches after an extended early-year absence.

Andrew, Jake Bonello and myself paddled out from Altoona with hopes of getting to Rice Island. Early winds kept us closer to the shore for some beautiful kayaking, and it was not until we hit 1-2 o'clock before it really calmed down. We had Surf Scoters on the Columbia, but none of the other exciting species we may have hoped for on the river. Plenty of American White Pelicans could be seen on the Wahkiakum end of Rice Island, and thousands of pintails flew by over the course of one 20-minute stretch.

We took Barr Road on the way back from the paddle, picking up a dozen Greater White-fronted Geese, some still showing extensive black on the belly. At Julia Butler we had a couple of Red-shouldered Hawks, Black Phoebes, and GREAT EGRETS. At the White-tail Trail, we had many vocal Virginia Rails, and flushed quite a few Wilson's Snipe as we walked. Puddle ducks seemed scarce everywhere through the weekend.

An Oh-dark thirty Sunday morning drive along West Valley Road pulled up two, possibly three Northern Saw-whet Owls under calm clear skies, as well as a distant Barred Owl. I met up with Russ Koppendrayer, Becky Kent, and Randy Hill to bird Puget Island, where I added two more year-birds: Cooper's Hawk, and Western Meadowlark. We left Wahkiakum with my year list at 147. I'm hoping that put me close enough to 150 to close it out in December when some other birds (Dunlin, Rough-legged Hawk, Snow Goose) might be a little easier to find!

We continued to Cowlitz, doing a quick look at the Mint Farm in Longview, where I picked up Lincoln's Sparrow. At Woodland Bottoms, I was able to add Western Meadowlark and Greater White-fronted Goose to close out Cowlitz at 150 species for the year. It'll likely be a few days before I can update the blog, but wanted to share the basics of the trip, and say thanks to all of the birders who helped me get within spitting distance of the goal! It now sits: Cowlitz (150), Wahkiakum (147), Clark (146), Skamania (146).

Cheers,

Tim Brennan
Renton