[Tweeters] Nisqually - Oct 20 2023

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Sun Oct 22 11:12:15 PDT 2023

Hi all,

I finally got to the Billy Frank NWR (Friday). The sun was out, the winds
were light ... and I was there during the afternoon (1-4) doldrums. But it
was still good and I intend to go back.

I knew there would be that boardwalk - and I was still impressed. It was
great to be able to get that far out into the tide lands. I also went to
the river overlook (not many birds) and the Twin Barns.

The fields in the area of the Twin Barns has geese in many areas -
several large flocks of about 200-500 individuals. I did not ID them but
I think they were Canada, Cackling, and maybe White-Fronted.
I did not get to see/id the Red Shouldered Hawk - I did see one raptor
but it was gliding/soaring away from me and I didn't get a long, good look.
It was large - but could have been an RTH or even a young Bald.

There were lots of birds in the tide lands. Gulls, Yellowlegs (both),
GBH, and ducks ... but no Eagles or Osprey that I saw. I made it about
2/3rds to 3/4ths of the way out the boardwalk before I turned back. And
one crow near the start of the long boardwalk.
I did not see any identifiable RWB - but there were some blackbirds
too far away for me to ID.
Also missing were passerines. I saw a few but no where near as many as I
expected/hoped for ... and no Merlin, Dunlin, Kestrel or any of the other
birds I've become accustomed to seeing here in Skagit County.

I've uploaded a few pictures

https://eamon.smugmug.com/Family-pics-from-jim/Birds-and-Stuff-from-Jim/n-4Cw3NF/Birds-Web/i-krxsFzH/A

there are nine new pictures there. If you see any incorrect IDs please let me
know!
- Jim