[Tweeters] Caspian Terns on Whidbey and Fidalgo

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Sun Sep 3 13:13:47 PDT 2023

Hi,

To add to the thread about the Terns ...

Caspian Terns are frequent visitors to the West Beach area of Whidbey
Island (the part of it that is just South of the base golf course. When
I've seen them in this location they are not simply passing thru - they
are actively hunting for fish (and sometimes successful). They work
back and forth along the shore - sometimes close in and sometimes fairly
far out (100 yards or so) ... "where ever the fish are today/now".

I have also seen Caspian Terns on the West side of Fidalgo Island in
locations such as Bowman's Bay Head, Rosario Head, and Sharpe's Park.
And then further North at Ship Harbor and all along Guemes Channel and
the West side of Guemes. I even saw three or four one time at Cap Sante.

And we saw a few the last time we went to Smith Island (just a
couple of weeks ago).
And an as yet unconfirmed sighting near the mouth of the Samish River
about 3 years ago. One bird, to far away for positive ID, that was
diving down near the river mouth, then climbing back up, pausing for
just a bit (almost a hover) and then diving down again. Never did get
all the way to the water ("false sighting of fish") - while I was
watching it.
The West side of Samish Island seems like probable habitat ... ?

Some of these might be visitors from the colony at Rat Island ... ?
But the further away you get the more likely they are from some other
source ...

Is it possible that there are other colonies that just haven't been
mentioned in the recent thread? There is a colony of White Pelicans
on the spit at the North end of the Swinomish Slough right now that
would certainly be probable habitat for Caspians ...
- Jim